Nothing makes you more excited that a vacation, but when you get a expense free trip across the world how do you think you will react? My reaction was beyond excited. On the last month of high school my Japanese teacher gave us a once in a life-time opportunity, a free trip to Japan, compliments of the Kizuna Foundation. We spent our days visiting sites and learning about the new and old Japanese cultures and living like a real Japanese student (but a little more popular) with our host siblings. My host brother was Kishikawa Shun (on the left), he was an athletic teen about my age with a passion for basketball and an interest in American culture. Even though we were separated by a language barrier, we got along very well. When it was time for us to leave our host families, no one had dry eyes. We really didn't want to leave our brothers and sisters, one of then started running after the bus to wave good bye. Even when we are half way around the world, we share a bond that is still going strong.
Sunday, September 23, 2012
Best summer of my life.
Nothing makes you more excited that a vacation, but when you get a expense free trip across the world how do you think you will react? My reaction was beyond excited. On the last month of high school my Japanese teacher gave us a once in a life-time opportunity, a free trip to Japan, compliments of the Kizuna Foundation. We spent our days visiting sites and learning about the new and old Japanese cultures and living like a real Japanese student (but a little more popular) with our host siblings. My host brother was Kishikawa Shun (on the left), he was an athletic teen about my age with a passion for basketball and an interest in American culture. Even though we were separated by a language barrier, we got along very well. When it was time for us to leave our host families, no one had dry eyes. We really didn't want to leave our brothers and sisters, one of then started running after the bus to wave good bye. Even when we are half way around the world, we share a bond that is still going strong.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nice man. It's way too cool to go out of the country just to see "another world" unfamilar towards yours.
ReplyDeleteI wish I had the same opportunities as you in high school! Traveling around the world is amazing, but making new friends and creating a bond that lasts a lifetime with someone in far away places is so great. Knowing that there is a connection bigger than your circle of friends at home is a great feeling. You'll always have someone to keep in contact with that is culturally and sociologically different-which is pretty amazing. My mom has a childhood friend that teaches English in Japan, and though they don't keep in constant contact I know she enjoys having a connection with someone in a place different and larger than the life she leads at home. I hope you and your host family keep in contact, it's a great relationship to have, especially if you ever plan on traveling there again!
ReplyDeleteThat's really cool that you had the opportunity to go to Japan and stay with the family. I wish I had the opportunity to go and experience a different culture and see how they do things.
ReplyDeleteI am really interested in the stories and ideas you might ponder as part of this memory. I wonder if it might incorporate into your literacy narrative? (I will bring you the Scott McCloud book on Thursday! I forgot it again today- eek!)
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this post because I can relate to it. My family & I hosted a german foreign exchange student my junior year, for a year, and though all expenses were not paid for....it was an awesome thing to witness. She became like a sister and we too had a language barrier that we were able to knock down. We now keep in touch on a weekly basis and I am looking forward to spending a month or so in germany over the summer. Awesome to hear about this trip!!
ReplyDeleteYour opportunity and experience is one many people would love to have. Just like Lacy said, I better it would be interesting to hear some of the stories and memories you may have of your host family. This is a really interesting story!
ReplyDeleteHi Chris,
ReplyDelete(im in the other english class, commenting for my midterm)
you got a free vacation? That is so awesome, im completly jealous! I bet it was awesome visiting Japan.
Wow I have always wished to travel to different countries and explore the world. I had an opportunity to go to Japan one time, but I could not raise the money and had to work over the summer. I have always dreamed of traveling someplace other than the state next door.
ReplyDeleteI agree this was one of my best summers. but you know i think that "Batman" is one of the people i met at orientation. Its interesting that i know someone that knows him, hes in your picture and thats what he told us to call him
ReplyDelete